Worms in chicken feeds

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > Worms in chicken feeds

Worms in chicken feeds

Home Forums Chicken feeding and watering Worms in chicken feeds

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

I Store my chicken feed outside in aluminum garbage cans with lids. I had to throw one bag away because the lid wasn’t tight enough and water got in. The second one has a super tight lid so no water but I just discovered worms all in the feed as I got towards the bottom of the bag. Probably maggots, Tanish short fat worms. I’m tossing the food but think the chickens ate some of the worms. Is this ok? Any suggestions for better food storage outside?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Using metal cans outside is not a good idea. They heat up, cool down and because of that have a tendency to sweat.

There is more to this story and you might not know what it is. Fresh feed should not have any living critters in it. Living critters deplete the nutrition in the feed that the birds need. So, the feed you’re buying isn’t fresh to start with or you’re buying too much and not using it fast enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always keep mine inside and take out what is needed daily.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Where there is moisture in a sack of feed, you’ll find maggots. Not only that, most likely mold. Moldy feed will kill a chicken if eaten. If you find clumps of feed in the sack, no matter what size they are, it means that the feed was moist at one time and then it dried. In any of these instances it’s best to return the feed where you purchased it and get a refund or another sack of feed. Then open it up and inspect it as best as you can while you’re at the feed store.
    Some stores don’t rotate products and it’s always best to check dates, including feed.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Thanks guys for that advice. You are really dependable

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have recently read an article about maggots as feed for chicken. Couldn’t worms also supplement their feeds, i dont think they are that different from maggots!!!

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

But think not all worms are dangerous to chicken because i did some research and currently people are breeding maggots for chicken feeds

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello…i also think worms will be a extra feed for them. However, molds in their feed would be a different issue. Keep the feeds well and prevent them from moulding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support