When are sheep ready for breeding

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > When are sheep ready for breeding

When are sheep ready for breeding

Home Forums Sheep breeding and lambing When are sheep ready for breeding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

My lambs have grown now, about 4 months . Am curious to know when i can avail a ram for mating!

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

For some producers, it is commonplace to breed well-grown ewe lambs when they are 7 to 9 months of age. Other producers wait until their ewes are 18 months old before breeding them to lamb as 2 year olds. Different breeds of sheep reach puberty (sexually maturity) at different ages. The choice is yours dear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the contribution guys. I actually think it can be ready for breeding at 10 months to be safe

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is convenient to wait at least 3 months after the last parturition (lambing) before a ewe is bred again. A ewe comes into first heat at 7 to 8 months of age. A ewe should not be bred when she comes into her first heat. Experts recommend an ewe of at least 10 or 12 months old to be bred for the first time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

An ewe is pregnant for 142 to 152 days, approximately five months or slighter shorter. Pregnancy is also called gestation. Since ewes gestate for only five months, it is possible for them to lamb more often than once per year

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support