New born calf cannot suck

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > New born calf cannot suck

New born calf cannot suck

Home Forums Cattle Livestock Welfare New born calf cannot suck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Israel Manzi
    Participant

We had a calf born in the field yesterday, it was a problematic birth and now its tongue is swollen. I managed to stomach tube it some colostrum in the first six hours and I tried to bottle feed it first thing this morning but i assume because of its swollen tongue that it can’t suck too well. I’m going to stomach tube it again now just so it has a chance but what other ideas do you have so i can keep it well.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Sorry about this.Calves that won’t nurse right after birth are often the result of difficult calvings. Because these animals have been stressed, they must have good immune transfer. Additional management steps are recommended to improve calf health.

Dont worry will make some consultation for you.

If the calf is unable to stand, try to get her up on her chest prior to inserting the esophageal tube. It is good that you have fed it already. Tube feeding in this upright position is much less likely to spill colostrum into the windpipe (trachea) than with the calf lying on her side.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Getting the calf to stand and drying her off can increase her metabolism as much as four times the resting level.Do that even as you feed her

Anonymous
    Inactive

use supplementary injections of selenium and vitamin E as well as vitamin B within the first 24 hours. With all this, you will see a change in your calf if they have no other complications or disease.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support