Meat goats

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > Meat goats

Meat goats

Home Forums Meat goats

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am considering starting a goats farm. What are the suitable breeds for meat production?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Boer males can grow to be 300 pounds. Because of their large size, they are one of the most popular breeds for meat production. Other advantages are that they are resistant to disease and reproduce often.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You need to consider if you would like to breed local breeds or hybrids. For commercial farming i would advise you consider having hybrids because they reproduce fast and are also resistant to diseases.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your choice of the goat breeds will depend on how well u=you can handle them with the resources you have. Below are some example of breeds you can consider.

Tennessee fainting goats are also called myotonic goats, nervous goats, wooden goats or stiff leg goats. When startled, these goats go rigid and “faint” or fall down. Myotonic goats are hardy, fertile, and have a long breeding season.

Brushy goats
    They are also known as hill goats, briar goats, or native goats. This is not a specific breed, but rather a category of goats. Brush goats are usually genetic crosses between meat goats and dairy goat breeds.

The Boers are highly resistant to disease, and it does well in hot, dry, semi-desert areas. Reaching slaughter maturity in about 90 days, they can reach a size of about 190 to 230 pounds for does, 200 to 340 pounds for bucks.

If you have a lot of range land available, Kikos may be a more economical breed than Boers, since they prefer rough grazing territory and require little attention.

Moneymaker. Moneymakers are parented by first crossing Sannen and Nubian breeds, which are then bred with Boers.

Texmaster. This is a medium breed in size, a cross between Boers and Tennessee fainting goats, developed in Texas by Onion Creek Ranch.

Savanna. This breed resists heat and drought. They are muscular and have a short, white coat with a cashmere undercoat to help them stay warm in colder winters. Highly adaptable to various weather conditions, Savanna goats are a good choice for places with weather challenges. They make excellent mothers.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

All the best ssebo as your decide what is best for you

Darius Zimbe
    Participant

Thanks Mulonde for the detailed response. i have also gained from your submittion. Chao!

Darius Zimbe
    Participant

By the way i also think one of the consideration should be the purpose you need these goats , is it for meat or milk?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support