How many acres will I need to run 200 head

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > How many acres will I need to run 200 head

How many acres will I need to run 200 head

Home Forums Behavior and herd management How many acres will I need to run 200 head

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

I live in Kamuli and I’m about to buy cattle. I have 800 acres and 75-100 irrigated and the rest normal western grazing land. I have a year round water supply for them through multiple creeks and ponds. Someone told me it was 5 acre a month range.

Some local agencies have figures for the AUM for lands in there areas, I suggest basing your heard off their suggestions and then watching your land and how it is when moving cattle to next pasture. You may have lots of grass left which could be nice if the following year is dry or you may be over grazing and need to reduce heard to benefit yourself in maintaining good pasture land.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

I also live in Jinja. You will need 5 acres/cow-calf pair. of pasture for most normal seasons. This past year 7 ac/cow would have been better. If you are using your irrigated ground for hay you have 700 ac of pasture. IF you want to start conservative start 100 head/pair and grow to 140, as you see how you land handles the land handles the grazing pressure. Good luck hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This land will be enough for your desired herds. You however need to consider the system of grazing you want to use. Is paddocking, Freed range or zero grazing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support