Bottle calf won’t eat. What should I do?

Jaguza Farm Support > Topics > Bottle calf won’t eat. What should I do?

Bottle calf won’t eat. What should I do?

Home Forums Breeding and Calving Bottle calf won’t eat. What should I do?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

I just got 2 Holstein Bull bottle calves yesterday. They both had scours when I got them, I gave them each half a scour pill yesterday… One of the calves is super healthy and crazy about his bottle, the other calf showed no interest at all in eating yesterday when I got him home (they were both up and alert when I picked them up) and just laid curled up in the straw shivering and wouldn’t even stand up, I didn’t know if he’d make it through the night. Got up this morning and he was up and acting hungry, he took his bottle and drank about 1/4 of it and stopped and hasn’t eaten any more all day, he’s acted interested today but would not take the bottle and eat. I force fed him 1 bottle this afternoon. Any advice?

Joe Geoffrey
    Wakiso District, Uganda

First off how old are they?
    What scour pill did you give them?
    Are they still scoured up?
    Do either have a fever?
    What’s the housing like for them?

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

They are about 2 weeks old. I don’t know if he has a fever… I don’t know what kind of scour pill I gave him either :/. I just asked for some at the feed store and they put them in a paper bag so I don’t have the packaging. They are in a barn stall with no drafts and 2 heat lamps on them and plenty of straw to lay in and some fine stem hay and water if they want it.

If they are 2 weeks old a bottle twice a day is WAY to much!
    That in itself will scour them up and make them lethargic.
    Think the best all you can eat buffet twice a day. ;)
    Cut them back to 1/4 bottle 3 times a day for best results/growth. If you don’t have the ability to feed 3x a day then 1/2 bottle max 2x daily.
    A happy healthy calf is the calf that is vigorously demanding food at each feeding and still begging for more after they drink their bottle.
    Add some probiotics for a few days to help stabilize their gut and add a good quality calf starter for them to munch on as they develop. Great job on the fine hay. A lot of people forget that. :)
    Be sure your milk is milk based and not soy also. Soy based replacers are known to give scours and extremely poor growth and pot bellies.
    Get a quick read thermometer to have on hand so you can take temps when things like this come up. Helps greatly in diagnosis and treatments.
    Lastly be sure to write down what meds and how much you give. It is very important if you or a vet need to treat farther.
    Hope this helps.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Ok! That’s good to know!! I thought it was a lot but that’s what the guy I got them from was feeding them. I’ll cut it back. The one calf is doing great. Super healthy and looks to have no more scours. The other guy which is smaller (and possibly younger) is still scoured up and now has a runny nose. His eyes are still bright and he will get up some. I’ve force fed him twice today ( he still won’t take a bottle). I gave him another half a scour pill today. I’m heading to town to pick up a thermometer and some calf starter to have available right now.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Oh and I added pro biotics this morning to his replacer.

And I’ve just gotta say thank you Charles for everything your doing here. You’ve already given me some great advice and I’ve read through most of the posts on here and you’ve helped a lot of people. Thanks again.

Geoffrey Joe
    Keymaster

Thanks, Charles your advice really did wonder.

Travor Ario
    Participant

You also need to consider vaccination for your calves when they get on to the farm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
error:
ASK JAGUZA AI  
WhatsApp Contact Jaguza Support